If you’ve been to the recycling center in the past week, you probably noticed some changes. We opened the Sandy Bottom Recycling Center in the summer of 2020, and it has grown steadily ever since and we continue to try our best to improve it. We love to see our citizens making good use of the recycling center and caring for the environment. SBRC is now accepting cardboard, #1 and #2 plastics, aluminum beverage cans, steel and bi-metal cans, hard drives, SSD’s flash drives, phones and chipped credit cards (HIPAA compliant destruction), newspaper, copy paper, plastic bags, printer cartridges, magazines, and plastic bags.
Just a few things to keep in mind about recycling at SBRC:
- Please rinse out your food containers before recycling. Food debris can prevent plastics from being recycled.
- No motor oil cans!
- Cardboard must be broken down. With our new cardboard containers, it likely won’t fit unless it’s broken down anyway. Please make sure cardboard is cleared of all debris before recycling. Packaging materials like styrofoam peanuts must be removed from cardboard.
- No aluminum foil or pie pans! Unfortunately, we cannot recycle aluminum foil.
- No black or brown plastic! Black and Brown plastics cannot be recycled at SBRC, even if they are labeled #1 or #2. Common examples of other plastics we can’t recycle include single use drink cups and straws. If you have a question about whether or not something can be recycled, please ask the attendant on duty.
- Please sort your paper before recycling. Newspaper and magazines are recycled separately from copy paper and junk mail.
Even with all those “nos,” SBRC recycles plenty of materials. If you have a question about what can be recycled, just ask the attendant on duty. We recently added secure lock bins to shred and recycle sensitive documents. Remember, we can also securely recycle hard drives and cell phones.
Sandy Bottom Recycle Center hours are:
- Wednesday-Friday 10am-4pm
- Saturday 8am-Noon
More information can be found on the Town website.